GRAND REVIVAL OF A VIENNESE CLASSIC
Located in the heart of Vienna's First District and part of the UNESCO World Heritage site, within close proximity to the St Stephens Basilica, a century old building designed to be the Commercial Court of Vienna is being masterfully transformed into, Vienna Court, a luxury hotel with unrivalled global reputation and a collection of the finest residences of the city.
Lobby design by Goddard Littlefair Ltd. ('GLF') - October 2018.
“ CREATING ARCHITECTURE IN A PERIOD
OF STYLISTIC CHANGES IS AN
OPPORTUNITY TO RECONCILE TRADITION
AND MODERNITY. ”
Alfred Keller, 1875-1945 (Architect of the building)
The extensive reconstruction is destined to revive the building, its area, by blending its cultural heritage with innovation and set new architectural and hospitality standards for the 21st century in Austria. At Vienna Court, the hotel will have approximately 150 rooms with a limited number of serviced residences.
The images shown above are copyrighted and are created by Goddard Littlefair Ltd., our interior designer.
The 14th century
WHEN IT ALL BEGAN
The incredible journey of the site starts with a small, Augustinian monastery for women as the main residents.
From the early 1500s, it experienced a more turbulent episode of damages with the siege of Vienna and the earthquake of 1591. During the age of Emperor Joseph II, the monastery was rebuilt, converted and used for governmental offices and then also by the Oriental Academy.
Only in 1784, the monastery was demolished and replaced by a residential building, Jakoberhof.
The 19th century
LIFE AS A COURTHOUSE
The existing building at Riemergasse 7was built in 2 construction phases by the architect Alfred Keller for the function of a courthouse. In the first construction phase (1906 - 1908), the execution of the district court was built as according to the building guidelines newly established in 1906. In the second construction phase (1909 - 1911), the building was extended by 8 window axes and a second transverse block to the east in the direction of Stubenbastei.
After a bomb damage from the World War II, the middle wing was rebuilt. Except for the incorporation of apartments in part of the roof in the 1980s, the building is preserved essentially in its original condition.
Dr. Alfred Keller
Dr. Alfred Keller (1875-1945) was an internationally respected architect and artist during the 20th century. He has been a leading member of the Hagenbund, and its President between 1912-1917, a major art association that defined Vienna up until the start of World War II.
On most of his works across Europe, he closely collaborated with Dr. Walter Brossman, in their design studio. From 1930, he was a Professor of the Technical University of Vienna, and its Dean of the Faculty of Architecture. He received the Golden Medal for the services to the Republic of Austria in 1928 and in 1929 the Gran Premio and Medalla de Oro in Barcelona, followed by the Commander Cross of the Spanish Order of Merit by the Spanish King in 1930.
Brisen Group (‘Brisen’) founded in 2010 is headquartered in Geneva.
It acts as a private investor and investment manager with focus on real estate and fixed income products. Brisen’s real estate arm has substantial assets in Switzerland, the United Kingdom, France and Austria in the hospitality and residential sector. At present, Brisen’s assets under management are circa €500 million, with an acquisition pipeline of the same size. The senior management team has more than 20 years experience individually, having worked at top tier investment banks, accounting firms and family offices across Europe.
While Brisen acts as an investor and manager for the development, Estates S.A., a Luxembourg based investment fund with more than €1 billion of assets, acts as a co investor.
Our key partners in the development are:
HNP Architects is one of Austria's top architectural firms, which left remarkable footprints on Vienna's landscape over its 30 years of practice.
Please write to us if you have a question, or comment.
+43 1 8902644
BRISEN DEVELOPMENT GmbH
1010 Wien, AUSTRIA
Below is a map with the development's location for your reference.